Monday, September 15, 2008

CHANGE OF PLANS

Many of you have heard me talk about my sister-in-law Paige. There are so many things that I admire about her and only one of those things is her ability to "roll" with just about anything. She does not get her feathers ruffled very often. She knows what is important in life and this is a lesson that I would do well to learn!
Take this weekend for example. Our family was planning to visit Eufaula for the weekend. We planned to go to our old school's football game on Friday night and a friend's engagement party on Saturday night. The kids were pumped for a sleep over at Aunt Paige's! 
Plans changed! Our nephew Pierce had a travel ball tourney come up in, guess where, Auburn. Normally that would be the best news ever, but the plan was to go to Eufaula. New plan - we decided to stay home and watch the tournament on Saturday and then go to Eufaula for the engagement party. See, we're "rolling" with it! Remember I said, plans change. 
Saturday morning I talk to Paige and poor Pierce had a high fever and was stuck in bed - no baseball, no sleepover. New plan - leave the kids at home with a sitter and Jack and I go to Eufaula alone - now that sounded like a plan. 
Thanks to my sweet neighbor, that is exactly what happened. Jack and I got to spend the evening in Eufaula without kids, the kids got to spend the night with their friends next door and on Sunday, Pierce was well and we all got to watch him play baseball!
You may wonder what I have learned through all of this. You see, through the course of the changes, Paige never got ruffled, upset or freaked out. Normally, when things do not go according to MY plan, that is what I do. I thank her for over the past,  almost 15 years, letting me learn from her what is important and what is not. 
This may seem like a small thing, but I have decided that if I can try and improve myself a little bit at the time, the end result will be major change. I consider myself a "work in progress."

Here are some pictures of the kids at the baseball tournament. Go Gators!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'll just start calling you Laid-Back Barclay! Smooth Sailin' Smith! And BTW, I love the new picture of you and Jack!

barclay said...

I told you I am slow to change. So don't call me anything yet!

Julee H. Nappier said...

I've always thought of you as laid back. Oh, like the picture, too!(;

Greer said...

You can't be too laid back! You wouldn't be YOU! And who would keep us all in line!?!?

barclay said...

Greer,
YOU know me all to well!

Amanda at Amanda's Parties To Go said...

It takes all kinds of personalities to make this world work. It would be soooo boring if we were all the same! But I know what you mean, we can all learn from the qualities we admire in those around us. Glad you ended up getting to go to the party and having a fun weekend despite all the plans changing.