Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Birmingham-Southern College Homecoming

This past weekend Jack and I took a trip back in time. Back to where it all started - Birmingham-Southern College. Yes, that is where Jack and Barclay or Bark and Jacklay as we have been called on many occasions, all started. 
For those of you who don't know, which is probably most of you, BSC is into its second year of football. (For those of you who went to AU and UA I know that is hard to believe, but when we were in school, there were no "football Saturdays".) Oh how things change. Homecoming was the inaugural game in a brand new stadium. Suffice it to say it was a BIG deal. 
We not only "tailgated" on campus, we walked around and saw all the new additions since we left back in the '90s. It is like a different place.
When Jack and our friend Graham were in school there, they lived in the OLD SAE house. When I say OLD, I mean OLD, my dad actually lived in the same house - the same room - where Jack and I shared our very first kiss!
Anyway, the NEW fraternity houses are very nice, but they lack the nostalgia of the old house. We made so many awesome memories there it is so sad to not be able to see the actual old stompin' grounds. Nevertheless, we spent some time at the new house reminiscing and catching up with the current members. I can remember "old" members visiting the fraternity house when we were in school and kind of feeling sorry for them - that was us! Now I know though that those "old" people can still have as much fun as the younger ones. 
The weekend was not just about Jack and Barclay (although we did ride by the exact spot where Jack proposed - but that is a whole 'nother story) - it was spent with our dearest friends Graham and Carrie. The four of us have been friends for almost 20 years and Graham and Carrie have been together longer than that. They are those special friends that you can always pick right up with like no time has passed. So that is exactly what we did. We ate, we danced, we sang and we laughed - a lot - just like old times. I felt like I was 20 again - and boy did I pay for it Sunday! 
No worries, it was an awesome weekend in an awesome place that holds the most awesome memories. 
Photobucket

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I had no idea BSC had a football team! Glad ya'll had a fun weekend. Good pics! Go BSC!?

Elizabeth said...

Looks like lots of fun!!

What is the talking in the background of the Journey song?

Julee H. Nappier said...

I wonder if my mom has ever gone back for any reason??

Looks like a cool school.(: